What is Simply...Challenging?

In brief, Simply...Challenging is my challenge blog. Here, I'm only listing the reading (and 1 writing) challenges I am/have taken part in, as well as book lists for each. My reviews are posted at Goodreads. Yes, it seems weird, but right now, it works for me. ;)

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Victorian Challenge



Laura of Laura's Reviews is hosting the Victorian Challenge.

For this challenge, the goal is to read books written during, set in, or written about the Victorian era (1837-1901).  Fiction, non-fiction, short stories, audiobooks and movies are acceptable, as are re-reads (and re-watches).  There is a simple limit of 2-6 (and beyond) books/movies, and each month a review link-up will be posted.  Participants can find ideas for Victorian-inspired reading at the 2009 Victorian Challenge site.

Each month will focus upon one Victorian author.  There will be blog posts from the challenge host and participants are welcome to read along. 
January: The Bronte Sisters
February: Charles Dickens
March: Robert Louis Stevenson
April: Emily Dickinson
May: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
June: George Eliot
July: Oscar Wilde
August: Anthony Trollope
September: Elizabeth Gaskell
October: Mark Twain
November: Lewis Carroll
December: Louisa May Alcott

*****

I'm quite looking forward to this challenge, as I have quite a few non-fiction Victorian books on my tbr.  (I also just watched a documentary on the History channel about The Real Treasure Island, so now I want to read a bio of Robert Louis Stevenson!)  I plan to join the monthly author focus, though again, my aim will most likely be non-fiction works about the particular authors.

I'll note in brackets if it's a monthly read.  As titles are read, they will be dated, a link to a review posted, and (finally, since I love to do it!) crossed out.
1.  (January)
2.  Charles Dickens: a Life by Jane Smiley (February)
3.  Robert Louis Stevenson: a Biography by Claire Harman (March)
4.  (April)
5.  Arthur Conan Doyle: a Life in Letters edited by Jon Lellenberg, David Stashower and Charles Folley (May)
6.  (June)
7.  Irish Peacock and Scarlet Marquess: the Real Trial of Oscar Wilde by Merlin Holland (July)
8.  (August)
9.  (September)
10.  (October)
11.  (November)
12.  (December)
13.  Inside the Victorian Home by Judith Flanders
14.  A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
15.  Eminent Victorians by A. N. Wilson
16.  Shaggy Muses by Maureen Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment