What is Simply...Challenging?

In brief, Simply...Challenging is my challenge blog. Here, I'm only listing the reading (and 1 writing) challenges I am/have taken part in, as well as book lists for each. My reviews are posted at Goodreads. Yes, it seems weird, but right now, it works for me. ;)

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Canadian Book Challenge

1 July 2011 - 1 July 2012

John from Book Mine Set is once again hosting the Canadian Book Challenge, now in it's 5th year!

The challenge is simple: read 13 or more books by/about/illustrated by Canadians (by birth or by immigration) between Canada Day, 2011 and Canada Day, 2012.  Any type, age or genre is permissable, just as long as they are read and reviewed.

*****

I don't read enough Canadian literature (though Robert Munsch is one of my favourite children's authors!), so this is an excellent challenge to help me get through that!  :)  Since I usually stay away from literary fiction like the plague, my challenge books will probably consist of a variety of children's, genre fiction and non-fiction.  At the moment, I don't have a particular theme in mind, but that may change in the near future.

Edited: It looks like I'll be reading non-fiction - social history in particular.  I wonder how many books of Canadian correspondence have been published?

Titles will be stroked out as they are read or replaced as needed.
1.  The Canadian Housewife: an Affectionate History by Rosemary Neering
2.  The Book of Letters edited by Audrey and Paul Grescoe
3.  The Book of War Letters edited by Audrey and Paul Grescoe
4.  The Book of Love Letters edited by Audrey and Paul Grescoe
5.  For Freedom and Honour? by Andrew B. Godefroy
6.  Basking Sharks: The Slaughter of BC's Gentle Giants by Scott Wallace and Brian Gisborne
7.  Stories From the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean
8.  Much To Be Done: Private Life in Ontario From Victorian Diaries by Frances Hoffman and Ryan Taylor
9.  My Missing Monsters by Sean O'Reilly
10.  Lost in Spooky Forest by Sean O'Reilly
11.  Binky Under Pressure by Ashly Spires
12.  New Monster in School by Sean O'Reilly
13.  Dr. Fred and the Spanish Lady: Fighting the Killer Flu by Betty O'Keefe and Ian MacDonald

Also see:   The Canadian Letters and Images Project

No comments:

Post a Comment