What is Simply...Challenging?

In brief, Simply...Challenging is my challenge blog. Here, I'm only listing the reading (and 1 writing) challenges I am/have taken part in, as well as book lists for each. My reviews are posted at Goodreads. Yes, it seems weird, but right now, it works for me. ;)

Friday, December 2, 2011

Writing Diary #1: December 2011

Perpetual

500 Words a Day Challenge is a writing challenge conceived by Inkygirl (aka Debbie Ridpath Ohi), a Toronto-based writer and illustrator of children's book.  The challenge is simple: try to write 500 words a day, 6 days a week.  It could be the novel you're working on, a blog post, a review, outlining, or anything, as long as you're writing.  There is also a 250 Words a Day Challenge and a 1000 Words a Day Challenge.

Since this a personal challenge (i.e. every writer decides how and when to "spend" their daily limit), I'm going to track my efforts with a monthly challenge log.  Each day I'll note my word count and what I did to earn it.  Hopefully this will keep me on track.  Initially I was going to attempt the 1000 Words a Day Challenge, but I figure I'll start small and see how it goes.  I'm more than positive I can write 500 words a day, but 1000 might be tricky.

| December 2011 | January 2012 | Feburary 2012 | March 2012 | April 2012 | May 2012 | June 2012 | July 2012 | August 2012 | September 2012 | October 2012 | November 2012 | December 2012 |

1 December
n/a

2 December
Day 1 - Started the challenge today!  Wrote this blog post (164), a blog post for Thomas and Charlotte Pitt RC (144), a blog post for William Monk RC (145), and a blog post for Victorian Mysteries RC (61, incomplete).  Final word count: 514.

3 December
Day 2 - Wrote thoughts on Harriet Rubin's Dante in Love, Sharon Sala and what to read next - personal journal (137).  Finished blog post for Victorian mysteries RC (now Death by Gaslight RC) (286).  Personal diary entry (183).  Final word count: 606.

4 December
Day 3 - "Captain Jack" (Doctor Who/Torchwood) fan fiction - bits and pieces.  Final word count: 804.

5 December
Day 4 - Wrote review of Carolyn Crimi's Boris and Bella (47). Final word count: 47.

6 December
Day 5 - Nada.  Final word count: 0.

7 December
Day 6 - Again, nothing.  Eek.  Final word count: 0.

8 December
Break

Just found Magpie Tales.  A new photo gets posted every Sunday and participants write a poem or short story inspired by the image.  I think I'll give it a try on the 11th. 

9 December
Day 1 - Seriously bad sinus headache today, so not much (if any) may be written...  Final word count: 0.

10 December
Day 2 - Wrote review of Apples to Oysters (Webb) on Goodreads (363).  Final word count: 363.

11 December
Day 3 - See note under 13 December.  Was going to try the Magpie Tales (mentioned above), but that didn't quite happen...  Final word count: 0.

12 December
Day 4 - See note under 13 December.  Final word count: 0.

13 December
Day 5 - Wrote a bit on Nia (characters outlines), but will probably throw it away (496).  I've been suffering from a bad cold since the 9th, so I haven't done much at all, except read bits of Sherlock Holmes.  Hope to get back on track by the weekend (16th/17th).  Final word count: 496.

14 December
Day 6 - Various blog posts (852).  Final word count: 852.

15 December
Break

16 December
Day 1 - Went to see Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows - squeeee! ; )  When returned home, wrote a bit of SH-inspired fanfiction (1059).  Final word count: 1059.

17 December
Day 2 - More SH-inspired fanfiction (463).  Final word count: 463.

18 December
Day 3 - None.  Final word count: 0.

19 December
Day 4 - Zip.  Final word count: 0.

20 December
Day 5 - More zip.  Sigh.  With work and the holidays, I don't think I'm going to be doing well as the month comes to an end... : (  Final word count: 0.

21 December
Day 6 - Final word count: 0.

22 December
Break

23 December
Day 1 - Final word count: 0.

24 December
Day 2 - Final word count: 0.

25 December
Day 3 - Final word count: 0.

26 December
Day 4 - Final word count: 0.

27 December
Break.

28 December
Day 5 - Rewrote "About me" page on blog (317).  Historical romance outline/description (869).  Final word count: 1186!!!

29 December
Day 6 - Continued on w/historical romance outline/snippets (600).  Final word count: 600.

30 December
Day 1 - Final word count: 0.

31 December
Day 2 - Trying to get through the last few stories of SH, so I probably won't be writing anything tonight.  Happy new year! ;)  Final word count: 0.

In Closing...
I wrote a total 6,990 words (out of a supposed 13,000).  So the first month of the challenge was, most decidedly, a fail, as I squeaked by with only a 53% success rate.  I would have probably been alright if the challenge had been to write 500 a week, as I easily surpassed the 500 words on 5 occasions!  However, I'm going to keep at it, despite my dismal showing this month, and hopefully get better at more consistant writing and increasing my word count.

No comments:

Post a Comment