Since this a personal challenge (i.e. every writer decides how and when to "spend" their daily limit), I'm going to track my efforts with a monthly challenge log. Each day I'll note my word count and what I did to earn it. Hopefully this will keep me on track. Initially I was going to attempt the 1000 Words a Day Challenge, but I figure I'll start small and see how it goes. I'm more than positive I can write 500 words a day, but 1000 might be tricky.
| December 2011 | January 2012 | Feburary 2012 | March 2012 | April 2012 | May 2012 | June 2012 | July 2012 | August 2012 | September 2012 | October 2012 | November 2012 | December 2012 |
Day 1 - Started the challenge today! Wrote this blog post (164), a blog post for Thomas and Charlotte Pitt RC (144), a blog post for William Monk RC (145), and a blog post for Victorian Mysteries RC (61, incomplete). Final word count: 514.
Day 2 - Wrote thoughts on Harriet Rubin's Dante in Love, Sharon Sala and what to read next - personal journal (137). Finished blog post for Victorian mysteries RC (now Death by Gaslight RC) (286). Personal diary entry (183). Final word count: 606.
Day 3 - "Captain Jack" (Doctor Who/Torchwood) fan fiction - bits and pieces. Final word count: 804.
Day 4 - Wrote review of Carolyn Crimi's Boris and Bella (47). Final word count: 47.
Day 5 - Nada. Final word count: 0.
Day 6 - Again, nothing. Eek. Final word count: 0.
Just found Magpie Tales. A new photo gets posted every Sunday and participants write a poem or short story inspired by the image. I think I'll give it a try on the 11th.
Day 1 - Seriously bad sinus headache today, so not much (if any) may be written... Final word count: 0.
Day 2 - Wrote review of Apples to Oysters (Webb) on Goodreads (363). Final word count: 363.
Day 3 - See note under 13 December. Was going to try the Magpie Tales (mentioned above), but that didn't quite happen... Final word count: 0.
Day 4 - See note under 13 December. Final word count: 0.
Day 5 - Wrote a bit on Nia (characters outlines), but will probably throw it away (496). I've been suffering from a bad cold since the 9th, so I haven't done much at all, except read bits of Sherlock Holmes. Hope to get back on track by the weekend (16th/17th). Final word count: 496.
Day 6 - Various blog posts (852). Final word count: 852.
Day 1 - Went to see Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows - squeeee! ; ) When returned home, wrote a bit of SH-inspired fanfiction (1059). Final word count: 1059.
Day 2 - More SH-inspired fanfiction (463). Final word count: 463.
Day 3 - None. Final word count: 0.
Day 4 - Zip. Final word count: 0.
Day 5 - More zip. Sigh. With work and the holidays, I don't think I'm going to be doing well as the month comes to an end... : ( Final word count: 0.
Day 6 - Final word count: 0.
Day 1 - Final word count: 0.
Day 2 - Final word count: 0.
Day 3 - Final word count: 0.
Day 4 - Final word count: 0.
Day 5 - Rewrote "About me" page on blog (317). Historical romance outline/description (869). Final word count: 1186!!!
Day 6 - Continued on w/historical romance outline/snippets (600). Final word count: 600.
Day 1 - Final word count: 0.
Day 2 - Trying to get through the last few stories of SH, so I probably won't be writing anything tonight. Happy new year! ;) Final word count: 0.
I wrote a total 6,990 words (out of a supposed 13,000). So the first month of the challenge was, most decidedly, a fail, as I squeaked by with only a 53% success rate. I would have probably been alright if the challenge had been to write 500 a week, as I easily surpassed the 500 words on 5 occasions! However, I'm going to keep at it, despite my dismal showing this month, and hopefully get better at more consistant writing and increasing my word count.